Monday, January 10, 2011

DEPOTTING NYX JUMBO PENCILS

It's kind of misleading to use the word "depot" here as they're not "pots" but pencils. It's actually a process of transferring the content of NYX Jumbo Pencil into a container. These jumbo pencils are extremely hard to sharpen. So they are much easier to work with when I depot them.

Depotting these pencils is very easy. It only takes around 3-4 minutes. Here's a list of what you will need to get the depotting going.....

1) NYX Jumbo Pencil (s), of course

2) Container (s) to depot them into
3) Pliers
4) Hair dryer 
5) Rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol)
You might also need a gripping mat or something to prevent a container from moving. I got these containers from a $3 Japanese Store. There are 2 containers with 2 compartments for each one. Since I only have 4 Jumbo pencils, so these little guys are perfect for me. What neat about them is that they can be attached together or separated for different uses. I used some Blu-Tack to stick the container to my dressing table. It's also a good idea to put paper towel (kitchen towel) underneath as it can get a little messy especially for a clumsy girl like me. OK, let's get started......


I rubbed the containers with the alcohol to sanitize them. I stick a container over a little bit of Blu-Tack to make it stay still and place them on top of a paper towel.


Pull the bottom cap off. The cap usually comes off very easily, but if not use pliers to pull it off.


I used pliers to hold the pencil. You can use your hand but the pencil will get quite hot after you apply some heat to it. So this helps you not to burn yourself.


Then I placed the pencil upside down over a container.


I used a hair dryer to heat the pencil. I hold it for about 3-3.5 minutes. I think how long it takes for them to melt is depend on how much heat you apply to it. I used a medium setting. I could use higher heat but it was a hot day when I did this. Besides, I don't really like a sound of hair dryer when I'm not doing my hair. I know I'm weird but who's not LOL! 


After 3-4 minutes, the content should melt & drip into the container like in this picture. 


OK, this is why I said to put a paper towel underneath. See...I told you I'm a clumsy girl. Actually, this happened because I reached out for a camera to take a photo :P 



 Voila! all in the container now. Told you it's easy. It will get a bit messy on the rim and along the side if you are clumsy like me but that's totally fine. You can always clean it up later. I used cotton buds to wipe off the mess. 



This is what they looked like. Empty from top to bottom.


Look at how much I got out off them. I think I would loose about 25% off this if I sharpened the pencils.




I then labeled them so I know which is which. Well, I didn't really have to label them I only have four, but hey not only that I'm clumsy, I also a neat freak hahahaha  Below is the completion of depotting NYX Jumbo Pencils.... Nice & tidy in these little containers. Easy for me to find in my makeup drawer (they're always lost deep somewhere in my drawer & I ended up forget to use them). I didn't like that I had to rub a brush on the tip of the pencils every time I used them. I felt like I never get enough product on a brush. It's way easier to dip my brush to get the product out.


I think you can use this method to any of the cream like pencil products (only the big ones I suppose). You can try this with NARS Lip Pencils, Makeup Forever Eye Shadow Pencils or any creamy pencil products.

Enjoy depotting your own makeup!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! :D I'm going to Auckland in a few months, I would like to know where I can buy nyx products please :) Please answer on my blog or at mzelle-mara@live.fr thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete