Friday, January 14, 2011

HIDRES SYNTHETIC FLAT TOP BRUSH

I've recently started to look for a perfect foundation brush. I've tried so many methods; normal foundation brushes,  MAC#187 (Duo Fiber Stippling Brush), MAC#109 (Small Contour Brush), sponge wedges, Beauty Blender and, of course, my own fingers. I want to get Sigma Flat & Round Top Synthetic Kabuki Brushes but they're always out of stock on their website.
Photo from Star Cosmetics

One day, I came across this Hidres brush from Star Cosmetics on Trade Me (NZ's ebay). The bristles look similar to the sigma brush, only shorter & smaller. I bought something from this seller before, and was pretty happy with the products. So I thought I would give it a try since it was only going to cost me NZ$18. I've never heard of this brand, but hey looks like it worth a try. So why not?


The brush arrived super quick (only 2 days after I made a payment) and was very well-packed. It came with a plastic protective sleeve. I didn't expect it to come with the sleeve, so I thought it was kinda of neat. I really like the wooden handle and the sleek black metal ferrule. They made the brush look like high-end brushes. I couldn't stop stroking my face with it cos it's so so so soft. 


I tried the brush today, using my favourite liquid foundation, Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup. I love this foundation purely for its staying power. It can be hard to work with if I don't apply it the certain way. Sometimes I have problem blending it out as it's dried out quickly. 


OK, back to the application. I dotted the foundation all over my face. I usually do 3 dots on my forehead, 6 on each cheek, one on each temple, 2 on the bridge of my nose, 2 above my upper lip & 2 below my lower lip. I then used a gentle stippling motion to blend out the liquid. After that I used short downward strokes to smooth it out. I've found that using downward strokes work really well on my skin, with this brush it's even out very nicely.


Because the brush has a quite small surface, it works great around my nose, under & around my eyes. I love this brush for that. I also like that the brush is so dense. So the bristles didn't bend much when I stippled the brush on my face. Unlike MAC#187, this brush works like a stippling brush but I can still apply more pressure on it and still get that density of the brush like I get from a traditional foundation brush. I hop you know what I mean. 

MAC#187 VS Hidres Flat Top Brush

I also tried using this brush to apply my concealer and I like it so far. I don't have any bristles fall out with this brush (like I sometime do with MAC brushes).


If you are in New Zealand and looking for a good foundation brush. I would highly recommend this one. It has a very reasonable price & high quality. What else you need from a makeup brush!

No comments:

Post a Comment